Penmon Point or Black Point
Penmon Point or Black Point (Trwyn Du) as it is also known locally is the most easterly point on Anglesey. The Point is private land currently owned by the Baron Hill estate in Beaumaris, but allow access for a small fee payable at Penmon Priory.
As you pass the Dovecote, there is a small lane on the right hand side that travels towards one of the several quarries in this area. The high quality limestone from the quarries at Penmon Point supplied the stone to build many local buildings including the Menai Suspension Bridge and the Britannia Bridge.
Penmon is derived from two Welsh words Pen meaning head and Mon being the welsh word for Anglesey
Penmon Point lighthouse - Trwyn Du
This body of water known as Puffin sound can be extremely dangerous.
The lighthouse which sounds a bell to warn shipping of its location in case of fog was built in 1838.
Birth of the Anglesey Lifesaving Association
Unfortunately the coast of Anglesey is famous for its many shipwrecks and the area around Puffin Island is no exception.
In 1831 a wooden hulled paddle steamer called the Rothesay Castle which was on a day trip from Liverpool sank near to the island, and only 23 people survived from 140.
As a result of this maritime tragedy the Anglesey Lifesaving Association was founded and opened the Anglesey lifeboat station at Penmon in 1832.
The former Penmon lifeboat station and the remains of its slip way can still be seen today.
Fishing at Penmon Point
Penmon Point is an excellent place for fishing and is especially popular during the summer months when the Mackerel are around, other common fish caught here are Pollock.
Fishing charters are available from the nearby coastal town of Beaumaris which can be seen fishing off shore around this rocky coastline.
Many of the properties on the front of Beaumaris like the Bulkeley Hotel were also built with limestone from these once popular quarries.
The Penmon quarries have been working limestone since the sixteenth century and carried on until about 1968 where it provided limestone for the construction of the Seaforth Container Terminal.
There are two main quarries at Penmon point that have worked for limestone, they are Flagstaff quarry, which is situated on the south side and Dinmor quarry which is located on the north side of the point, this is the one believed to have supplied the limestone for the Menai Suspension and the Britannia bridges.
Facilities are quite scarce in this remote part of the Island although there is the Pilot house Café which sells the usual refreshments, tea, coffee, soft drinks and some food is available. There is also a toilet here as well, you will need to request the key from the cafe.
How to get there
Follow the B5109 from Beaumaris following signs for Penmon Priory there is a small fee to travel through to Penmon Point which also includes parking to see Penmon Priory.
OS grid ref. SH 6397 8131
If using the app ‘what3words’ then it is ///logs.tricky.professed